by: ann phelan - 17th February 2014

Close to home
industrial looking building

I am a new snowboarder having boarded at 4 mountains previously. My friend wanted to experience Midnight Madness, the 9 PM- 3 AM mountain program. We had a blast. We arrived 10 PM Friday and stayed until 1 AM. The entire mountain was lit up. It was a fun crowd and a lively time. There were kids out at this hour believe it or not. Good mix of boards and skis. No lines whatsoever. The bar inside had some corny band playing. Plenty of liquor being consumed and none of the tables had been bussed so the place was a mess. Long wait for booze and last call was not announced but it was still fun. The next day we were on the mountain 1-5. Plenty of powder and cordoroy. I was on the green circle trails and enjoyed them very much. My friend was in the park and on the black diamond trails and glades. He was in heaven. We napped at our hotel (Crotched Mountain Resort/ see review) and went back 9 PM to 2 AM. Again, no lines at all. It was a bit blustery but the bonfire warmed me up sufficiently. Super nice staff all around. Friendly crowd. The band that night was really good and the bar and tables, much cleaner. The friend has been boarding for years and said this was the season's best so far. We loved it so much we are heading back next weekend for the Block Party!! We stayed nearby at the Crotched Mountain Resort. This was a fabulous experience from the reservation to check out. We had a super modern fully equipped one bedroom condo with fireplace, washer dryer, full kitchen, huge bath and views for under 150 a night. It was 1 mile to the mountain. They sold us a 43.00 dollar lift ticket (super savings) and we added 15 to board Midnight Madness. What a deal!!! Don't be dismayed by the industrial looking lodge area. What's on the mountain is solid gold. This little mountain packs in a wonderful snow experience.