by: Christian - 21st July 2012

Nice terrain, no crowds
Windy, cold, paltry snowfall, nothing to do at night.

I am hot and cold on Cannon. I have been there 10 times. I've skied in 12 inches of powder. I've skied on Cannon Ice. In some ways, I love that place. You go there for skiing, that's all. I like the stripped-down feel of Cannon. No hot-tubs or loud apres scenes will be found there. Their Aerial Tram is a legendary ski lift. Some nice steeps are to be found. And there is good beginner's terrain (now that I'm a dad, this stuff matters to me). And re-opening Mittersill has made many a skier very happy. But there is one big problems I have with Cannon......it puts the "ice" in Westerners mocking term for the East, the 'Ice Coast'. High winds, low natural snowfall, and lots of manmade snow can result in some pretty damn nasty ice. And we're not talking patches. We're talking huge swaths of ice....trail-wide swaths of ice. It just plain sucks. And even on powder days, they will still be making snow. It's a terrible thing to be skiing in nice fluffy natural stuff, only to all of a sudden run into what I heard one Cannon skier call "thick swampy crap." Overall a good place to ski, but if they only could get more snow......