by: Sara - 2nd April 2011

Great Terrain
Crowded, can be hard to move around, tram, mittersill double, etc

I loved this place so much years past, but it seems every single time I come up this year it's crowded and just not fun. Before the crowds came in, I thought this place was perfect. I knew things were going bad when they put in the new double- I thought it was kind of stupid to make hiking not necessary to access what is still labeled backcountry. If you go down Kinsman's, DJ's, or any of the banshee area (and sometimes Avalanche, too) you just have to take the tram up, unless it's closed then you'll have to walk all the way to the Zoomer lift, which if in slow snow, can be hard to get to. Believe it or not, there isn't much for the advanced skier that is actually on the map-Paulie's Folly, DJ's, and glades (which are generally very spaced out). However, off map and not labeled, there is plenty of hidden glades and trails that can be fun- if you can find them. Apparently a lot of people have this year because the day after a powder day all of my stashes were tracked out... I'll try it again next year, but if the crowds are still there then that'll be my last time at Cannon.