Hard-core New England Skiing

by: xtian117 - Oct 22, 2010

Pros: Great terrain, Mittersill, miniscule lift lines, best value in New England

Cons: Little to no nightlife, can get very cold/windy, also icy at times

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

"You ski at Cannon? You must be good." That response I've heard from lots of people when I tell them that Cannon is one of my favorite resorts in New England. Those who have siked there know that it's a bare-bones, stripped down ski mountain. It's all about the skiing at Cannon. Very difficult blues are all over the place on this mountain (some would likely be black at other resorts). The blacks are steep, in your face, and yes, as some people complain, icy. but hit Cannon on a powder day, as I did in February, 2010, and it's one of the best places in New England. Avalanche, in particular, is phenomenal. Steep enough to actually have had an avalanche on it (1995, I think). Mittersill......'nuff said. Ungroomed, wild, narrow trails And liftlines don't really exist at Cannon. I was there on the day after Christmas, and the longest lien I had was 10 people. Not ten minutes......10 people. There are drawbacks.....if you like great apres ski and a charming town, Cannon isn't for you. If you like luxurious hotels with 20 person saunas, Cannon isn't for you. But if you like difficult, technical runs, this is your place. And with the cheap lif tickets and breath-taking scenery (second only to Wildcat in NE)....Cannon is your place.