by: Dave Varney - 8th April 2011

Good snow, good lift capacity, easy groomers
No expert terrain, borderline advanced terrain

As a NH native I have skied just about every area in the state but I had never skiied Bretton Woods. I finally went to Bretton Woods today to give it a try. It is a nice place for a family that includes beginers and intermediate skiers but if you have any advanced or expert skiers they will be bored. Many wide-open groomers and probably more glade skiing than anyplace else I've been here in the east. There was plenty of snow on the slopes and in the glades even this late in the season. I thought the grooming was well-done, with a few trails left ungroomed for bumps. The skiers here seemed to be "social" skiers, people skiing together in big groups spending more time standing around on the slopes talking than actually skiing. That's fine if that is your type of skiing. If I was taking a big group of beginner skiers to the slopes this would be a perfect place to go. Although their claim is that they are the largest ski area in NH, they definately have a small area and small mountian feel. I was glad that I had only paid the spring skiers discounted rate because after a couple of hours, I had skied everything and hadn't found anything to challenge me at all, so I called it quits and went to Cannon Mountain. There was one thing that was fantastic and that was the view. They overlook the Mt. Washington Hotel and Mount Washington with the cog railway.