Nice Mountain Unpleasant Owner

by: knappynh - Feb 26, 2011

Pros: Terrain

Cons: Treatment of customers

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

We visited Black mountain for a Friday/Saturday of skiing. Upon getting there we tried to use the tickets we had, we were told that they weren't valid because it was a holiday. Upon asking what holiday it was I was told school vacation. No where on their web site do they list holidays, do they tell you when you can or can't use tickets or what the blackout dates for any tickets are. I asked to see the manager so I could let him know that we had checked the web site for blackout dates and couldn't find anything listed. The manager was called and came down to see us, it was at that time the manager (also the owner) walked up and told me he wouldn't honor the tickets and I wasn't going to bully him either. I tried to explain that we had checked the website and wanted to make sure he understood our position and that we had driven up in a snow storm to ski there. He also told me that our kind wasn't welcome there and we could leave. Turns out on Saturday another couple had a very similar issue and almost didn't end up skiing because of the same guy treating them the same way. I enjoyed the mountain, it's a small mountain with great terrain, the lift lines are never long and most of the people you meet are very friendly. Short of the owner it was a great experience, we almost left but decided to not let him ruin our day and stayed. If you are looking for an experience based on customer service this may not be the mountain for you. If you want a nice all around mountain with great terrain I would give it a shot.