Great town, family friendly, but dishonest snow report!

by: 1olemiss - Dec 21, 2009

Pros: Family Safe Resort, Restaurants in Town, Short Lift Lines

Cons: Snow Reporting, FOG, Nightlife at Resort

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2009

My family and I love the town and love the people. We really want to like the resort but this past week has left us very disappointed. This was our second trip to the resort and the second time that we feel the Snow Report has let us down!
This week they told us it was heavy snow which it was, but they failed to tell us that it was raining at the base and freezing rain at the summit. So the family all got dressed and headed up to the mountain (we like the hospitality we get staying at the Best Western, plus it is in town). We get up to the baselodge and the rain is coming down like back home on the Gulf, but we think ok must be snowing at the top. We get up to the top and it was some kind of sleet/ freezing rain that stuck to our goggles something fierce.
Last year they told us it had snowed 8 inches. We hurried to get up to the mountain and it had snowed at best 4 inches, don't get me wrong 4 inches is nice, but it ain't 8. 8 is worth dropping the relaxing of vacation to get "some freshies" as my children like to say. 4 is keep relaxing, have a second cup of coffee and then make your way to the lift.
Now we haven't been to every resort but of the ones we have, these people tell the tallest tales and leave out important information that have affect just how gooda time a family can have on the mountain.

Enough of the bad things onto the darn good things. I am not sure that you kind find a small town to match the restaurants that Whitefish has, good BBQ, Pizza, and a some darn tasty chicken and dumplins...mmmhh better than mama used to make. And the people all over are down right friendly and honest (well except them snow reporters). They tell you where all the good spots to eat are, fun things to do after skiing, just the type of people we find back home.

Anyway I recommend you give Whitefish a visit and if you decide to go to the mountain ask somebody at one of the local shops the conditions before you head on up.