Whitefish for the Winter!

by: abodox33 - Feb 10, 2010

Pros: Great Backcountry Access, East Rim Steeps

Cons: Unmarked Cliffs, Cat tracks, Fog

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

I recently moved to Whitefish ski this winter. I had heard that the hill was fairly intermediate but very fun. My first day skiing here, I was guided by locals who have been skiing here for years and they were willing to show me all of their favorite in-bounds stashes. Now knowing the hill, I can attest that you can drop sick lines (by anyone's definition) at Big Mountain! From tight pinner chutes, big cliffs, double stager cliffs, and steep powder lines. Using the long cat track from East Rim and North Bowl is a little annoying, but it's worth every second of it when the snow is good! There's also excellent backcountry that is a very short bootpack or skin (10 min in, 15 out) that keeps good snow more often than not, especially on the North facing slopes. There is also lots of acres of great skiing for beginners and intermediates making it a great family resort. The Bierstube is a great classic Montana bar right at the base. Newcomers should definately go in and ask the bartender for a ring. Overall, I am super stoked to be spending the winter in Whitefish. Big Sky is definately Montana's best for steeps, but the Whitefish community is second to none!