by: Ricky Aminaka - 7th April 2012

Dirt-cheap ticket, friendly, no crowd
Thin snow coverage, slow lift, last 2mi driving, late opening

After spending 3 days at Big Sky, my flight fron Helena was leaving at 3:30... so I was researching ski area around and found Great Divide. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised. Google Map said it'd take about 1hr from Helena Airport to there, but it took me 35mins. Driving there is generally good, until you hit last 1-2 mile before the ski area. Road is unpaved and winding. It surely would be interesting in mid windter with heavy snow. They don't have overnight accomodation, it's local's mountain and I don't see this would be destination to stay and ski. I was there on the day they got 6-8" of fresh snow (some powder, some cone, depending where you ski). And ski stayed untracked for very long time, thanks to much few people. But it melted fairly quick, and I ran over several dirt and rock on connector runs. They have variety of runs, but it seemed to be a little easy after skiing at Big Sky for 3 days. I paid $30 for the whole day, cheaper than anywhere I skied in Midwest!! And the stuffs are super nice. Overall the atmosphere is so laid back, similar atmosphere you feel in Midwest ski hills. Overall it's a pretty good place for locals or out-of-towners to stop by on the way to/from other major resorts, especially after significant amount of snow.