Blacktail Mountain Ski Area Review

by: anonymous_user - Jun 7, 2008

Date Visited: Jun 7, 2008

If you are a local of the Flathead Valley or if you just like skiing with locals, Blacktail is the mountain for you.

In the valley their are two choices Blacktail Mountain and Big Mountain (now called Whitefish Mountain Resort). In this review I will compare the two to give you a little insight.

Terrain - Big Mountain has more acreage and more lifts. Blacktail has all the same type of terrain just less of it. I would give Blacktail a huge edge on grooming. In fact toward the end of the season Big Mountain quit grooming all of its terrain which made for some horrible surpises once you started down the run. The is no terrain park at Blacktail so if you have kids that want to do that Big Mountain is the place for you.

Ski School - My kids have particpated in ski schools at both hills and I would say that the instruction is the same. Big Mountain does have a nice magic carpet. The nice thing at Blacktail is that there are fewer people to watch you in the early on embarassing stage.

Day Lodge - I give this one hands down to Blacktail. Sure Big Mtn has a large new lodge, but it is very confusing and staff are not very helpful. Which leads me to the next category.

Employees- The staff at Blacktail are so much more polite, respectful and helpful. I think that they staff at blacktail actually care about how your day goes. At the Big Mountain this year while trying to figure out the whole process for my daughter to rent, get in ski school, and all the other things that go along with that I had absolutely horrible service.

Anyway that is my comparison. See you at the best ski hill in the valley, Blacktail.