by: txskier - 12th February 2008

Skiing in Big Sky Feb 2-9 2008. Very large mountain. Many black or dbl-black runs, which I mostly stayed away from. Very forgiving runs for beginners, plenty of long blue runs to cruise on. Had a very windy day on the 8th, which closed the highest lifts. One of the bottom lifts closed for a short time and I found the longest lift line of the week - about a one minute wait! Many times I was on a long wide run with my wife and looked up and down and there were no other skiers anywhere to be seen. We had at least a dusting of snow every day except one. One day (6th) was 8-10 inches of fresh powder. Stayed at a condo in the Meadow Village - Firelight Condominiums. From the outside this complex looks like a normal, medium priced apartment building. But inside! The room was fantastic, well appointed, lofted ceilings, hot tub on the balcony, view of the mountains. Full kitchen. We found this through www.vrbo.com, and got an incredible rate for the week. But the condo is NOT on the slopeside. There are places that tell you there is a shuttle service, and, yes, there is. But the shuttle to our condo ran once an hour. Then it stopped at a transfer point, and we got off to wait for the next shuttle. It was only a 5 minute wait. BUT if the first bus was 5 minutes late...you would miss the second one and wait half an hour. If you stay in the Meadow Village...get a rental car. And do it in Bozeman before you leave the airport. There are rental car agency options in Bozemen, none in Big Sky. Normally, my wife and I find a new place to ski every year for a week. Big Sky is the first place I would come back to for a second shot, if we ever run out of new places.