Family Skiing

by: edinadad - Jan 15, 2009

Pros: Distance from the Cities, Great runs, Grooming

Cons: Short Runs, Cost of Food

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

I took my daughter and her friend to Welch for their first time out. This would be my second time this year.

One thing that I like about Welch is that it is a bit farther out from the cities than other ski areas. And thus there are fewer people to go there when the weather is a bit iffy or if it is a bit colder. Hmmm, ignore that last little bit, the place is REALLY BUSY all the time.

Welch recently opened a new "Back Bowl". To get there for the first month you need to be a season pass holder. Which can include the Freeze Pass, which is what I bought. It allows you to get a regular ticket for $15 off. And it only costs $30.

The back bowl is all Black or Double Black diamonds and it reminds me of out west. Just a LOT shorter. But, fun none the less. Since the area is closed to pass holders, there were not that many people back there. So, I was able to get a lot of runs in. It seemed like after 8 to 10 runs my legs would get tired so I would head back to the front side.

Since there were not that many people out there the day we went, I was able to get in a whole bunch of runs. Probably close to 60 to 70. For the most part, I was able to ski down and get right on the lift. The runs were all groomed well and were not all that icy, even late in the day.

My daughter and her friend had a great day as well, they even went on a Black Diamond run.

The only thing that I really have a problem with is the cost of food. And that there are no free-refills on soda. The bowl of chili I had was pretty good but with an order of fries and a soda it came to almost $10. But I did get free sour cream with the chili.

One nice bonus, and it was unexpected, is that the main bathroom had heated floors.