by: Richard - 18th December 2009

Snow, lifts (!!)
Limited terrain open...for now...

I skied Spirit for the first time this season on Wednesday, December 16th. It wasn't nearly as cold as I expected, so that already made the day memorable. On top of it, Spirit had 4 main top-to-bottom runs open, all with man-made snow that was in GREAT shape. Loose, soft corduroy everywhere! Made those first turns of the season at Spirit very enjoyable. Spirit had the Gandy Chair running, but we opted for the four-person quad above Four Pipe. It might just be me being crazy, but it seems like that chair is going faster. That was a pleasant surprise. The beer was still cold at the Moosehead, which was also good. Now I see that they've converted the old Ski School room on the bottom floor into a "Slopdeside Bar", but it wasn't open. It looks like that place will be awesome, I can't wait for it to open. Spirit was making snow like it was cool, and their coverage looked phenomenal. It appears that (contrary to Lutsen), they have enough coverage and are taking time to make sure it gets groomed well. I would expect that the resort would be fully open by this weekend (Dec 19th). Check their website, but the snow was plentiful!