by: Richard - 2nd March 2009

The snow!
The wind

I skied Spirit this past Thursday because it was snowing like crazy in Duluth. Unfortunately, the wind was also whipping as well. I got on the hill at about 5pm and found that on north east-facing runs, the snow was blown around terribly bad. It was piled every three feet, about 5 inches deep, but then would give away three feet more to bare ice. Additionally, the snow was hitting me in the face so hard, it felt like buckshot. So I opted to try something else. I skied Gandy Dancer and Cinder Snapper and couldn't believe was a little more north west facing slope offered: ankle deep snow without the ridging caused by the wind. I lapped Gandy and Cinder Snapper and found the snow along the trees to be the absolute best (but careful enough not to dip in too far and get hit by the death cookies underneath!). It was almost as good as my first Midwest powder day back in December, but the snow just wasn't as deep...here I was skiing anke-deep, when that faithful day back in December it was at least shin deep. I wasn't complaining. All the runs that were facing a bit out of the north east blowing wind were in great shape...snow was spread across the runs perfectly making for some great, scrape-free powdery turns. We skied 'till close, only stopping to warm up for a few minutes at a time. There was no one at the resort that night...maybe it was because it was Thursday, or maybe they felt the wind was too terrible. As it turns out, those who toil get to reap the benefits. The snow was deep for Spirit Mountain, and the turns were soft and powdery...something you don't get to say in the Midwest very much. I'm heading back to Spirit tonight, so I'll update soon and let you know what the conditions are like now that the groomers have had their way. Knowing how great the grooming is at Spirit nowadays, I'm thinking it's going to be some phenomenal soft corduroy. Stay tuned!