by: Richard - 26th January 2009

Snow and grooming
Lifts

Even though it started out at -9 degrees on Saturday morning, that didn't stop some hearty souls from heading up to Spirit Mountain to enjoy this season's snow. I was one of those brave individuals who decided the sun was just too nice to pass up. The first turns at 9am were surprisingly soft. I thought for sure with the cold temps that the snow would be bulletproof, but it miraculously wasn't. Spirit had groomed at the right time of night apparently, because the corduroy was in good shape. I made a few runs, then went in to defrost. By noon, it warmed up to a whooping 9 above, and by that time, the sun had warmed up the snow a tad, softening it up. There were quite a few people out, surprisingly, but there was still untouched cord to ride. For the most part, we small band of true Midwest skiers had the resort and the runs to ourselves. By 4pm, it started getting a bit gusty, so I called it quits. I was told that three snowboards and a pair of skis got stolen from the front of Spirit Mountain by another patron, so lock up your skis when you're there! Overall, the fresh snow we've received so far this year has really helped keep Spirit in great shape. The groomers are able to do a smashing job laying down cord every night. So even with the colder temps, you can still expect some great turns in the Midwest...if you're hearty enough to brave the cold!