A Midwestern surprise

by: flatlander13 - Apr 12, 2009

Pros: Long runs, spacious terrain

Cons: It's way far

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Apr 1, 2009

I've skiied several places in Wisconsin and Michigan (and a couple out West) but this was the first time my wife and I had made the long trek from Chicago to Lutsen. It was worth the drive. As a ski mountain, Lutsen is in a different league from the rest--much higher elevation, longer runs and a feeling of actually being in the mountains. You also can't beat the view, a panoramic vista of Lake Superior from most runs.

It's a great place for intermediate skiiers, with blue runs that, by Midwestern standards, go on forever. The black and double-black runs are numerous but generally shorter, covering only the top or bottom half of the mountain (except for some tree runs). There's also a little mountain that is perfect for beginners.

What didn't we like? The grooming is just plain sloppy. If I were running the place, I'd hire the people in charge of grooming at Nubs Nob in Michigan and tell them to do a full upgrade. The lift tickets are not cheap, but we found a pretty good ski-and-stay package at a nearby motel. If you care about night life, which we don't, you'd probably be bored.

Overall, the owners have done a good job in a great setting. I just wish they had a little more ambition. Improve the grooming and Lutsen would be as good as Midwestern skiing can possibly be.