by: Richard - 24th November 2007

The longest early-season runs in the Midwest
Papa Charlies is the only night life..and it's spendy

I got to make some more turns at Lutsen yesterday (Nov 23rd). Unlike last week, they had 4 runs open today...including the best run on the resort: Bull Run on Moose Mountain! We hopped on the gondola and got over to Moose Mountain. The lifty said the snow was pretty chopped, and after one run, we knew he was right. There was plenty of base--not a single bald spot--but the snow was just broken up haphazardly and left in little marbles and chunks. In places the snow was terrific--powdery and soft, but for the most part it was in dire need of a good grooming. We had lunch at Papa Charlie's, where despite the friendly bar staff, the menu continue to dwindle. Between a few sandwiches and some pizzas, there's not much left. The only thing I can assume is that the restaurant attached isn't completely started up, so their menu is lacking. But last season, it never expanded. We enjoyed two delicious tap beers and a 12" pizza each, paid our ridiculous bill of $24, and went back to Moose Mountain. This time, instead of skiing my groomer skis, I skied my powder boards to get some time in on them. Bad idea. The snow was so chunder and chop that I was pushed all over the hill with my skis chattering the whole time. We asked the lifty after that run if they were going to have the groomer go again, but his answer was basically a no. Even with as many people as there were (both the upper lots were full), there was still plenty of room to make turns at Lutsen on the SINGLE run on Moose Mountain (Ullr had the other three runs open). That's the best part of Lutsen: the wide-open terrain. Rarely will you have to dodge someone or bump into someone. The expansive terrain allows for plenty of room per skier. All in all, a good day for skiing. The weather teased with small natural flurries, but never did come to fruition. The snow making crew kept busy all day with the temps allowing for snow making. I would imagine by next weekend they'll have plenty more terrain open to enjoy.