by: alanandsusan - 26th February 2013

great vertical drop, great for intermediate to advanced skiers, well groomed, friendly helpful staff
no night ski, no speed lifts, very limited beginner runs

This is our first trip to Lutsen and we were very pleasantly surprised. The runs were challenging and accessible. Very clean, well maintained facility. They have a 1950's vintage gondola system that reminded me of something I rode in Switzerland in the army in the 70's. Whether you are an intermediate or advanced skier, you will be challenged by Lutsen. On the down side, my girlfriend who is just learning how to ski this year would have had a better time if the greens would have been a little bit longer and had more drop. Lutsen could do themselves a great service if they would install some speed lifts, because the lifts are very slow. Having said that, you could spend a few days easily and not get bored. The staff was incredibly helpful and kudos to Terri, who was an instructor in the ski school. My girlfriend took a lesson and Terri was very helpful, going above and beyond. Even though temp hit 37, the snow was still great skiing. Lutsen on the shores of Lake Superior is a great place for the Midwest. A must go.