by: loricipheran - 13th January 2011

Downhill terrain
Lodging

Shanty Creek has a little something for everybody. There are mild cruisers for beginners, an extensive terrain park with a halfpipe, and some fairly steep black slopes by midwestern standards. I have had good luck with the snow conditions there - this part of the country is well-known for its ice, but the area is well-groomed, and my impression is that its snow is better than at nearby Boyne Mountain. The lift lines can get busy on weekends, but hey, that is hardly unusual. The red lift tends to be pretty quiet, and although the runs that it services could be a little longer, they are sufficiently diverting when the main slope is crowded. Off-slope, Shanty Creek does not have as many amenities as many destination resorts of comparable size. This doesn't bother me too much, as I am there to ski, not hang out in the lodge. I do wish there were a wider range of dining options, though. The rooms at the main lodge are pretty basic - most are small, and I have to say that they could be better maintained. I hear that the rooms at the newer Cedar Run Lodge are better, although I have never stayed there. But if you go to a ski resort to ski, then you are in luck. Shanty Creek definitely offers a snow experience that is definitely above average for the midwest.