Pure Awesomeness - Hardcore Terrain and Basic Facilities

by: svtguy88 - Oct 18, 2013

Pros: awesome terrain, all-natural snow, true "getaway from it all" feeling

Cons: some won't like the bare-bones facilities/lack of nightlife, long drive

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

This was my first visit to Bohemia, and I will most certainly return this season. It has quickly become my favorite area to ski that is within reasonable driving distance (~8 hours).

Let me start off by saying that Mt. Bohemia is NOT a family resort. In fact, it's not really a resort at all -- and that's the way that I hope it stays. On my first run, this place redefined Midwestern skiing for me. The terrain, snow and scenery are all incredible. Bohemia does zero grooming, and also doesn't make any snow. Yes, this does mean that late in the season that the snow cover can get, well, sparse. However, it's totally worth it.

My visit was in late March of 2013, and it actually rained for the first entire day. The rain, combined with late-season snow cover would have ruined a trip just about anywhere else, but Bohemia was still amazing. Sure it was wet, and we were all soaked by the end of the day, but I was having SO much fun that I didn't care.

Be forewarned that lodging is basic: cabins with bunk beds, a bathroom, heat and a fridge, or a "hostel style" yurt. There is a bar yurt (the "base village" is a system of yurts), but other than that, there isn't a lot of "apres ski" type stuff at all. To me, this all adds to the majesty of being in the middle of nowhere at the best hill in the Midwest (and, arguably, other regions).