A place to ski

by: mkt - Sep 25, 2009

Pros: lots of natural snow, terrain, ski patrol

Cons: grooming, overall condition

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

Maybe I was just at MM at the wrong time. Grooming was suspect and lots of ice patches. Visually, the hill seemed old and not well kept with lots of areas in need of the natural visual intangibles other hills already have to draw us to them. Its as if MM started to work on slope improvements and quit halfway thru, it feels like parts of the hill are just left undone, like a construction zone in progress. On the plus side, MM gets LOTS of snow thanks to its proximity to Lake Superior, but still doesn't open earlier or stay open later into the season than any other hill. Terrain is better than some hills in the area, but you can end up traversing flat areas to get from one part of the hill to another, so plan to get some exercise that doesn't include just enjoying the gravity. Bright spot, Ski Patrol is top notch. I hate to say it, but my daughter came off a lift wrong and injured her knee. NSP was first class getting her off the hill, and one of the NSP at MM is a trauma nurse at the local hospital. Couldn't have asked for better care in a crummy circumstance, thank you NSP, YOU ROCK!. Food is good and reasonable, decent guest service but not a class leader. Ok, like I said, maybe I was there at the wrong time, so I WILL give it another shot. For now its a place to ski, but not necessarily my first choice. If the next trip improves my experience, I will update and give credit where its due.