by: Chris185 - 17th January 2010

Whole mountain grooming twice a day, clean, kept up trails.
Crowded days and vulgar rude school kids detract from a 5 star review.

I've had a night season pass for the past few years so they are doing something right. That is the basis for my review, given a choice, I'd head up north if I were going to ride during the day strictly based on size of the mountain. First I'll say what the mountain is. It is reasonably close for a few hours of late night riding whether you live in Springfield, or Boston, or anywhere in between. It is well groomed twice a day so ice is kept to a minimum despite traffic until spring. This is the best decision management has made, and it is why I keep coming back. Being a smaller mountain, it's manageable to do this daily. You always have a chance at riding corduroy! Food is on par for a resort, and the bar is decent. Ticket prices are as expected for a smaller mountain. The lodge is clean, well kept, and you can tell money has been put into it to make it nice. It's comfy. Free ski check is such a convenience and keeps things secure. Please tip the kids who work there, they are super nice! Trails are decently wide and support traffic pretty well. At certain times, family trails are monitored, I have seen kids talked to for going too fast. I think it is reasonable. Now, for what it isn't. It has varied terrain, but it's not a huge mountain. I mean, it's Worcester not Vermont. It is bigger than most Connecticut ski places that have night skiing. You have to give up something for convenience. I'm fine with that. It doesn't have a half pipe, that ceased to exist however it sounds like it is more of a political issue with certain groups. I was looking forward to using it when I first started coming but it is gone gone gone. School kids crowd it after school until 7 or so during the week and that is my biggest gripe. I could overlook it more if I felt management was doing something to repremand the kids for being snotty and rude, like pulling passes, etc. I have never heard such racist and homophobic slurs from such young kids before in any resort lift line, I can honestly say I'm sometimes shocked at what I hear. I listen to my iPod now and catch the last few hours at night to avoid these brats. I do understand after school programs are probably a cash cow and help support the mountain, so I can understand why the kids are there but it's annoying sometimes. The big terrain park is kept up well, however the smaller one is left to ice over and die. Last year the rail garden was rutted out and iced due to traffic and no upkeep. It was safer to avoid it. The park could use more long slideable fun features. I've seen videos from parks out west (skibrighton.com). I notice not as challenging stuff (as the Wa Wa current park has, like jump on features, which are good), but 30 foot low boxes to slide, low "S" rails to balance on, 30 foot mail boxes. These would make a good addition to the park. Bigger isn't necessarily better. The last gripe is the terrain park fee, however I do understand it probably keeps out little kids that tend to barge and be a nuisance, since mom and dad won't buy it for them. I've had enough of that at other places, and sure enough the kids I see in the park generally can handle themselves and know the rules. I'm sure it probably does something to limit liability for the resort. It's not VT but it certainly blows away CT resorts for night riding. I'm happy.