Great for what it is

by: herzogone - Dec 17, 2010

Pros: Well run, well groomed, affordable, nice vibe

Cons: Crowds, smaller than stuff further north, not much advanced terrain

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

I am a season pass holder here since it's half an hour from my house and it is really quite affordable compared to most mountains. Although Wachusett is a relatively small mountain (100ish acres, 1000 ft vert) and can get crowded during school vacations and holiday weekends, I feel they do a great job handling the crowds. I don't think I've ever waited even 10 minutes in a lift line, even when fairly crowded. The two major lifts are both modern high speed quads, and they groom more often than most other places I've been, even of comparable size. The mountain and lodge both have a very nice woodsy New England feel, and the recently opened historic Bullock Lodge on the mountainside adds a cozy trailside stop for hot cider and pastries. I guess if I have one gripe that is within their control to change, it would be that there aren't enough beginner park features. There was one easy box in the beginner park area for a while, but then they removed it. I think they later had the same one in the main terrain park for a bit, but again it disappeared. It would be nice to have some consistent easy boxes and rails (as seem common most other places). Overall though, I think this place does an excellent job with what they have. It is a major asset to this area.