A Nice Discovery

by: gma1970 - Apr 17, 2009

Pros: A Great Learning Hill, Very Inexpensive

Cons: Lack of Vertical

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

This is one of the ones I had always driven past. I'm glad I stopped here one night and paid the usual asking price of $12.00 for a night ticket. This was mid-January and, not too long after the hill took a real beating from an ice storm. I skied in the dark and had a great time doing it. Every time I saw a coil of wire nailed to a tree, I reminded myself that this is not a deep pocketed resort, they were doing what they could to put the place back together and, that someday, that coil of wire would run a string of lights again. With one double chair, a couple surface lifts and, 300 vertical feet, Otis Ridge is not for those with short attention spans. Although, for its size, it skis pretty well. What they do have is the easy access, affordability, and community feel that got us all into skiing at our own home hills in the first place. Its isn't glitzy and, for what it is, it shouldn't be. If you don't mind sitting under a couple slightly brownish tiles in the drop ceiling at The Grouse House, you too might be able to chat with the groomer about his grouchy old Piston Bulley while eating stuffed clams from the toaster oven. If that's a bit too humble for you please pack the brats and the blonde in the Bogner in your BMW and go to Windham. Otherwise, you and your family should have a great time. You'll have the lowest stress ski day ever here and sometimes, that's just plain good for the soul.