Saddleback Inc. Review

by: hoodzies - Feb 21, 2007

Date Visited: Feb 21, 2007

Have skied here over 3 different seasons now with my family. Usually stay for the weekend - either renting a condo on the mountain or a house in Rangeley. Skied recently the 1st weekend in February before the big storm hit. The conditions then were excellent. Packed powder, very little ice at all.

This mountain is a superp family mountain. The lower mountain lifts are great for kids just starting out, or even with a few years experience, but wanting to gain independence. This is the only mountain I let me kids, ages 8, 10, 10, ski with their friends alone on the lower mountain. Part of it is due to lack of crowds - there is no crowd. Great for skiers, I suppose, but bad for the Berry family who purchased the mountain. But I feel safe having my kids ski the lower mountain on their own.

The lodge is the best I have been at anywhere. I have skied out west several times and many place in the east. Clean, good food, not too crowded, very nice ski atmosphere. I don't worry about my kids here at all.

I would love to see a quad chair to the top, but there is no wait on the double. the T-bar to the very top needs to go too. The trails from the top are very scenic and traditional New England winding through the woods. Hopefully if they can get some skiers here improved lifts will come.

I would also like to see more options to stay on mountain such as a small hotel. It would make it easier to come up. It's not an easy day trip from points south.

But I think this mountain is a gem and my kids always want to come back. They have more fun here than anywhere else, as do I. I only hope they can get enough skiers to keep open for many years.