ski & see the sea

by: haroldburbank - Dec 31, 2012

Pros: unique

Cons: none

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2010

this is a sentimental review. in FEB, 1968 my grandfather taught me to ski at the snow bowl. it had a 300' rope tow, a large open slope, no lodge i can recall, and i think a new t-bar to what is the top today. it was very popular with locals, snow was plentiful, grooming was ok. my gear, christmas presents from my grandparents, featured rubber boots, cable-spring bindings, and screwed in ski edges. it is a wonder i stood up for long, but i did master the wedge pretty fast to avoid all the other kids there. i fell in love with the sport there.

2 years ago i took my wife of 31 years and 18 year old daughter to the snow bowl to ski for the first time. my ski career took off after 1969. i skied all over the usa and parts of canada.
i trained DH with billy johnson before he won his 1st in usa history men's alpine olympic gold medal, raced for a year fulltime before college, and then for umo. after all that, the snow bowl
still held its original downhome maine coast charm for me. there is no other ne usa ski area where you can ski and see the atlantic ocean (from @ 1000' above sea level), plus enjoy a nice mix of terrain, good cover, a cute base lodge, decent food, friendly people, and very fair prices; surely not within a short drive of excellent food and lodging in a classic sea faring town like camden. we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. you will too.