by: Sally Black - 27th January 2009

Nice atmopsphere, big ski area, good facilities
Spread out and expensive

I'll say from the start I didn't have the greatest time in Are, and I think if circumstances had been different it might have been better as I know your experience depends a lot on how things go on your particular trip, who you're with, where you stay, the weather etc and so I can understand other people may have a lot better time! We (Myself and my parents and my younger brithers) arrived by train and strauight away had to pay a lot for a taxi to the appartment. That was on a steep hill side so we struggled up to that with our baghs, it was OK but nothing special, a bit tatty. Ski rentals were back down the hill and all the shops and restaurants in the main centre (Which were veery nice) about half a mile away,. Everything was expensive comparedc to the alps - bnalthough the people were always friendly and it wasa a nice atmosphere. The cvjhilcare for my brother was in another part of the resort a few miles away so there was a bus ride there and it took us away from the main ski area so we got the bus back, skied a bit and then bus back to get him. Sio my memories are of long walks carrying heavy gear up steep hills and wauituing for and riding on buses everywhere. It is very speread out over many miles so be careful where you stay. If you're in the main resort centre and don't need to use childcare, feed a family etc I guess it's great. I think most Swedes arrive in their big Volvos with their cars loaded with food from home so they have no problem getting between places and eat in to save restaurant bills so you can see the plsace is kind of set up for thsat way of doing your ski holiday.