- Overall Rating 4
- Family Friendly 4
- All-Mtn. Terrain 3
- Terrain Park 4
- Nightlife 2
Pros: Close to home, good conditions, fair price
Cons: Crowded on weekends and holidays
Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly, Empty Nesters
Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009
PNS is the best in the Midwest. I have been skiing PNS for 28 years. If you are compairing PNS with Aspen, Vail, etc. you are not giving it a fair assessment. We are talking Indiana not the Rockie Mountain range. Here are some tips and comments to use.
1. Price seems high for tickets and rental however if you own your equipment and you buy a pass (like the bronze) you can ski once a week for about $10, plus special pre & post season skiing (free with pass).
2. Crowds on weekends is expected so go on the weekdays or late on Sunday. Do not go on holidays and NEVER EVER on MLK day, NEVER EVER.
3. Snow condition are best in the morning (freshly groomed) and decrease as the day goes on. This is man-made snow fo don't expect fluffy power like out West. Last year I was skiing before Thankgiving at PNS & into March.
4. Family friendly place but lock up your skis when away or keep in sight.
5. The terrain is good with open areas, trees and a nice terrain park.
6. There is nightlife in the area but not at the slopes.
7. PNS does not have a bar which is great. Just bring your own adult beverage and save some $$, they don't care, just don't litter.
To sum up, go to PNS & enjoy it for what it is. Buy the passes that you can aford, bring your own beer, go after work or take off a half-day, stay away from holidays and have fun. Drive to the nightlife if you need more entertainment. I also ski out West each year but still look forward to skiing PNS. I have pass in hand & hope to be skiing next week.