by: anonymous_user - 10th February 2008

I did not have the best experience at Perfect North. I may not have went on the best day of the year, in fact the conditions were horrible. Surely there would be some kind of discounted ticket, since not even the longest lift was running, and the trails were basically ice. For what today was it was way overpriced. Then, when I went to rent, I had no help, and was told to go find a pair of boots for my snowboard. Apparently when the day is done you just take your wet, sweaty boots and place them back on the rack with all the other mismatched pairs. So I had to stick my hand in and test 15 boots before I found a dry pair. My friend skiing unfortunately trusted the first pair she wore, and within an hour the wet boots got really cold. The snowboard rental equipment was bottom of the line, and the whole area had a terrible smell to it. After a few runs we decided to go inside, and warm up by the fire. And after seeing some very nice, friendly, comforting ski lodges, Perfect North reminded me of a run down high school cafeteria, which was way overcrowded. We tried to sit by the fire, and after cleaning off a messy table we were close, but the building was almost as cold inside as outside, so it didn't really help. I have gone skiing in worse conditions, but had a much better time, because first of all, the resort personnel at other places were knowledgeable enough to give discounted lift tickets, and the whole atmosphere of other ski resorts is much more pleasant. I feel bad that people here pay MORE than they would at an incredible small mountain resort where the would experience real snow, knowledgeable staff, quality equipment rentals, cleaner lodge areas, and smaller lift lines. For today's trip, Perfect North could never justify charging 65 dollars for rental and lift tickets, which is what we paid. Maybe if the conditions are okay, but even then, you get cheap rental equipment, you are waiting in long lift lines, and you do not get that sense of excitement you do in a nice, comforting ski town. The experience there is lacking all of the small subtleties that make a ski trip a memorable experience. One more thing is the quality of skiers on average there only make the conditions worse since they just brake down the whole hill, exposing more ice each time they are snowplowing down on an edge. My friend actually got cut off and ran off the snow into the grass at one point, and I had to avoid way more people than I ever have in my 10 years snowboarding. I understand that the options in the area are not the greatest, but Perfect North, for the amount they are charging, and the quality of the lodge, and the rental equipment, and the knowledge of the staff, should either cost half as much, or they should do some serious upgrading to justify a 65 dollar day, even in good conditions.