It's About Responsibility, Folks!

by: MCPG - Jan 3, 2010

Pros: Great place for newbies to learn

Cons: Not all newbies are there to actually learn

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2009

We visited Paoli Peaks on Dec 30, 2009 for a great day. My wife and kids were very excited to get out for their first ski day of the season and it was wonderful, as usual. It wasn't as crowded as we expected which is why I was a little surprised when my wife was plowed into by a rogue snowboarder from behind and my daughter was almost knocked off the chairlift by a skier who couldn't stop at the loading area.
Paol'i is a great place to learn the proper way to ski or board. I've had friends go with me and I always make them take a lesson if it's their first time. If only everybody did that, but they don't. I've been known to help folks who are having trouble if they seem to genuinely want to learn. If they just want to go straight down the hill, out of control with their camouflage or Colts jacket flapping I'll make sure ski patrol knows about them and even call them down myself.
The point is that Paoli, simply because of its geographic location and its proximity to the un-snowy South attracts a lot of first-timers, which is great. But many of those first-timers are there for the novelty and not to learn the etiquette of a ski area.
Know the code. I know it's not Aspen or Sun Valley, but you can hurt yourself or somebody else. Take some responsibility: Know the Code!