by: joe castelli - 2nd September 2008

skiing close to southeast, snow where there shouldn't be
small hill, not alpine

Brought my family here to learn to ski in preparation for a trip out west later in the spring. This enabled us to make the most of our trip out there - a really good idea and worth every penny. It was my first time to ski since being a teenager. We didn't have any trouble finding our way around and access to slopes from the lodge/ski rental area was easy. Weird set up with the lodge at the top of the hill. Lodging in the area is fairly expensive for what you get. Shopping is as good as the local walmart. My wife and I took a beginners lesson. I couldn't believe how quickly it all came back to me. My wife picked up on things really quick as well and by the end of the afternoon, we were having a great time. Our instructor was a really nice guy, obviously there for weekend kicks to share his love for the sport with others. My kids (9 and 6) had a good first time on skis too. Their instruction was mediocre, but at least an introduction. After our lesson we had a great time as a family on the bunny slopes. It was fairly crowded, but we never waited at the lift. We skiied to the bottom of the hill a couple of times, but it was a little tough for the newbies, so we stayed mostly on the very short bunny hiil at the top. I took a couple of quick runs on the only advanced slope - it was pretty icey (but earlier in the week it had been in the 70s). The drop is short, but it was still fun for a quick fix. I would rate it similar to a medium to difficult intermidiate slope at a western resort. Rental place was OK. If you were a complete novice, you might be in trouble as there was not a lot of instruction on how to pick proper boots. Had a little trouble with my 9 year old's binding popping loose that afternoon. Took it in to the rental place in the lodge and they fixed it right up. Fortunately, she hadn't been skiing fast enough to hurt herself. This place is as fun as you make it. If you are expecting a good introduction or an opportunity to steal a few turns for a tune up, this is as good a place as any within 4 hours of nashville. If you have delusions of grandeur, a great alpine escape on uncrowded powder-laden slopes, you will be disappointed. Watch the conditions here closely. Before we came, the temps were in the 70's (very strange for jan). I was concerned there would be no snow, but the temp dropped, they blew some snow out, and by saturday morning, the bunny slope was passable. Unbelievable! The second day a little snowstorm blew through, the kids thought it was heaven. My little one on the lift up for our last run confided: "Daddy, this is better than Disneyworld!" Some of the best words I ever heard.