Good, no frills, experience

by: XDotNet - Jan 31, 2011

Pros: Quick lifts, snow in Indiana

Cons: Bathrooms, locker rooms, cold lodge, expensive food

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

My crew just took up snowboarding last year at Paoli and so far it's been great. Paolis' biggest asset is snow in the middle of Indiana. Paoli reminds me of Dollar General. It's no frills snowboarding and skiing. They have nice snow, the lift lines are short and the employees are friendly. The longest i've ever waited on a lift line is 3-4 minutes...even on college night (it gets PACKED with IU students). You get the idea that they only spend money on the slopes, for me i'm ok with that. But others may want more of a "lodge" experience.

Paoli REALLY needs some lodge improvements. The bathrooms are terrible, small and really smelly. They are also in the basement, no bathrooms on the main floor. The lodge is drafty and cold. Yes it's "snow sports" so the environment is cold but it would be nice to go in and warm up. The best you can do at Paoli is get out of the cold, not really get warm. The food is expensive and so so. The bathrooms...cmon' Paoli, build some new bathrooms on the main floor and build a nice/warm changing area. Turn the heat up in the lodge and it will be much more pleasant all around. We warm our car up and have lunch in a nice warm car with food we bring on breaks. I think Paoli leaves alot of money on the table by having a bare bones lodge.

We really like Paoli for getting in lots of runs. The runs themseves are a bit short (its not the Rockies) but you can get a lot of runs in as the lifts go quickly. So the lodge stuff doesn't bother us as much as it might others. We've had a great time learning the sport at Paoli. Its been a great experience.