by: mgorjian - 30th June 2010

Quaint, cute, good fun, fair prices
None at this time

Date Visited: 27-30 December 2009 Paoli Peaks is a great spot for those who want to venture to a low key ski resort not too far from home, as well as get some first-time skiing or snowboarding experience in the books. I live in Lexington, Kentucky and drove about 2 hours 45 mins to Paoli. The drive is pretty straight-forward and traffic wasn't bad at all. And Louisville is about an hour from Paoli, so if you need to hit up some nightlife, the drive isn't that bad. Paoli city - the town is very quaint, and not a big city so its easy to get around town and find things. Its very family friendly and laid back. The pricing there is pretty decent too - food, hotel, equipment rentals, admission, tubing park, and lessons - were all very affordable and fairly priced. The terrain on the slopes are well groomed and there are spaces designated for beginners, intermediate, and advanced skiers/snowboarders. The people and staff in Paoli were very friendly and approachable. I'm definitely going back to Paoli and hope to make a trip at least once a year in order to develop my snowboarding abilities. :))) Tips - If you plan on making regular trips, I suggest buying your equipment. Rentals can add up if you go daily. I bought all my boarding equipment before my trip and saved money. Its definitely worth it to check online to seek out some good deals. Also, if you plan on attending the tubing park (located separately from the slopes), I strongly recommend going a few hours after the tubing area opens. Lines can be long and the ticket only covers a 3 hour period. I went between 7-8pm and got 5 rides out of my pass; I could've gotten more, but needed to head out for dinner. What to bring - (1) make sure to wear polarized sunglasses / goggles - the snow is bright and could damage your eyes (2) wool socks, water proof gloves, and jacket (3) ski pants are a must! camo pants, jeans, or any other material will get soaked pretty quick (4) snacks (food at the lodge can get expensive) (5) good attitude - if you're a beginner, you will fall a lot...but keep at it and you'll get better....winter sports are more physically demanding than they appear, so prepare to be sore the next day....(6) make sure to pack advil, muscle rub, heat pads, or things that might sooth soreness - a hot shower or dip in the hot tub is always relaxing after a day at the park too!! :)))