by: Nate Porcher - 19th December 2010

Farside Terrain Park, steep black diamond, winding runs, excellent grooming
The backroads of farmcountry Illinois, slower lifts

Wow. I had heard mixed reviews about Chestnut mountain because of this exact website. They had $15 dollar lift tickets up until yesterday so a bunch of thought we would go check it out. As soon as I did my first run, I already knew that I liked it much better than Cascade (all straight, predictable runs), Devil's head (same) and obviously Wilmot or Alpine. The blue runs have a winding characteristic with variable slope and aren't all straight and separate. The Warpath run (black diamond) was steeper than anything at any Wisconsin resort within 3 hours of the Chicago Suburbs. So other than the slower lifts, I was already completely sold on Chestnut and practically planning my next trip. AND THEN, I made my way over to the Farside Terrain Park. I COULD NOT BELIEVE how well designed, creative and full of features the park was. There are plenty of different paths one can take to hit 4 or 5 features on the way down, and the lift that serves it goes up steeply and is not bad at all to hotlap the park on. I never thought I would say this, but I actually thought the park was better than Tyrol Basin, who as many know was voted #2 in the midwest by Transworld Snowboarding Magazine. Chestnut is a very underrated resort, and I am not very sure why. Already planning to return at least 2-3 more times this winter!!