by: loricipheran - 20th January 2011

Snow conditions, uncrowded
Slopeside lodge is bare bones

I am biased. Pomerelle is where I discovered the joy of powder, so I am very fond of it. But I don't think I am alone in saying this - Pomerelle is well known for outstanding snow conditions. And nestled among the remote Albion Mountains in southern Idaho, you will have many opportunities to ride fresh powder after a big snowfall. Pomerelle belongs to that special category of ski resorts that stubbornly stays behind the times. There are no flashy condo developments, and no high-speed detachable lifts. The lodge is very basic in both its appearance and services. Personally, I consider these things to be assets. Pomerelle is not a tourist trap. The people who go there want to ski, not go shopping for Gucci handbags and hang out in the heated swimming pool. If you like mom-and-pop ski areas as much as I do, then you will love the laid-back atmosphere at Pomerelle. This is not an especially large area, and the slopes are not especially challenging. Overnight accomodations are few, and a fair drive from the resort itself. The access road is steep and winding, so be very careful after a big dump. If you find yourself a little frazzled from skiing at Idaho's famous Sun Valley and want to get away from the bustle, give Pomerelle a try. You won't be disappointed.