by: anonymous_user - 11th January 2007

Zermatt - San Moritz no votesby Anonymous | January 11th, 2007 01:36 AM I just came back on tuesday from 12 days in San Moritz. Basically I am told the conditions there are the best in the country. This is probably due to the fact that San Moritz spends a lot of money making snow and grooming etc. Note this is not a big mountain, nothing like Zermatt with endless runs and amazing terrain. Here is what I exprerienced. Around Dec. 30-Jan1, hard ice, not very pleasant but bareable if you are into east coast ice conditions it was marginally ok. Jan 1-3 it snowed and the runs were much better, evenetually around Jan 5th it snowed a lot more, I heard about a lot of snow is some areas of Switzerland, up to 1 meter etc. Dont know if this is true but we got around 30-40 cm, plus it snowed a bit more on and off. I ended up sking around 15 inches of powder just off the marked runs, dangerous since the base is very limited and hard, with some large rocks covered with fresh powder, but overall was very nice. The runs were good to excellant. In addition I skied a double diamond, off piste run, "Von Olmound" was very nice considering, only a few rocks which I managed to avoid. Heavy choped, packed powder 30 + cm deep. Finally on Jan 7 the weather was sunny and the slopes were free of tourists, like me. Basically this was a day in heaven, runs were fast, well packed snow and it was a bit warm, basically spring skiing with snow, the best day of my trip. So was the 8th but I didnt want to spoil the highlight due to fog and 50/50 wether conditions and went cross country skating, fell on my ass a bit but it was fun. So I can tell you that typically San Moritz is fair to great depending on if you get some snow. By now if they have no new snow its probaly a bit skied out but overall not terrible. I would head there, again they seem to always make enough snow to get by, in my 8 years there over the Holidays Ive seen worse. Overall I was lucky, since I stayed after the crowds and it snowed. Say hi to Pavaroti. Good luck.