Tough conditions, but great facilities

by: kashton - Jan 12, 2010

Pros: Plenty of variety, truly fantastic kids program,

Cons: Very little 'real' snow - mostly manufactured. Base is ICE in many spots.

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

We spend the Dec 24 2009 through Jan 4 2010 in the area and spent most days at Gore. We love it there. My kids have participated in their kids programs and have not only enjoyed it, but have been well taught by enthusiastic teachers who go the extra mile. I like the variety of terrain and the large number of choices for someone of my skill level (intermediate/snowboarding). We love especially that almost everyone there is relatively local, or appreciates and respects the local flavor of the resort... so no 'attitude' and few Type As running around.

What I have learned from two seasons now is that conditions are very, very tough if the weather isn't 'just right.' The last couple of weeks were good examples. Windy and cold conditions blew most of the top-layer of powder/snow off large parts of the mountain leaving a very icy (not hardpack powder, but clear, glassy ice) conditions exposed. When you have a 9-yr old boy who lives for snowboarding, and he stops you on the mountain at 11am and says, "Dad I think we should go home, this is just too dangerous," you know you're not having the fun you paid for. And he was right - and we left after only two runs. Expensive mistake.

What I love about Gore is that it's one of the most interesting and enjoyable places to ride/ski in the area, but you have to hit it on just the right days with the right conditions. I wish the reports would be more 'honest' about the icy patches because they are expansive and unavoidable and dangerous. The number of lifts and trails open also posted on the Gore web site have not been right all year... some of my favorite runs and lifts are showing 'open' when they are not.

Other than very touchy conditions, I can wholeheartedly endorse their Kids Club program and school - and if you want your kids to have a great time learning or improving their skills, this is the place to go - we've been to many, many others and have returned to Gore for a second season BECAUSE of their kids program.