by: sunglassman - 6th January 2010

TREES / POWDER / NO CROWDS
ONLY 1 HI SPD QUAD / ROAD TO RESORT

I bought a vacation home a few miles from Powder Mountain a few years ago. I did so without ever skiing Powder Mountain. I only skied Snow Basin. I had heard PM was antiquated etc. The lodge apparently has not been updated since it opened around 1972. I hesitate to even do this review because now I don't want PM to change. It is a blast from the past and a great mountain. I am able to find fresh powder 10 days after the last snowfall. Where else can you do that? The tree skiing is fantastic! All the snow is real! Beginners and intermediates alike will love the wide groomed runs and there are no crowds. Snowbasin with all it's bells and whistles is the playboy playmate of the two resorts. She is fun to be around occasionally and keep on the side. Powder Mountain is the great girl next door. You loved her when you were a kid and she still makes your heart flutter. A word of caution! The road to and from PM can be treacherous. You basically park at the top of the mountain. If you don't have 4WD or chains in snow and or ice, forget about driving to the top. There are PM buses that will get you up the mountain. Driving down can be scary for the weak of heart or first timers. DON'T ride your brakes going down hill!! Gear down, take your time and tap the brakes ONLY as needed! Every year someone rides their brakes going down and has a bad accident when their brakes finnally give out. Be safe and have fun.