by: wmubrad21 - 4th January 2010

Summit hotel rooms = nice
Restaurants and service = subpar

My first exposure via the website was okay. The website is nice but it fails to describe what each room entails, which would be helpful in booking rooms. Then, I went through the entire booking process and when I pressed confirm/buy, it said there was an error and told me to call the resort. So this option was totally worthless and a waste of time. Check-in went well and the lady was very nice. Skiing was nice but Summit Mountain's chairs are extremely slow and old. It was my first time at this resort so after going to Schuss, I realize that Schuss is the place to ski and Summit is pretty much just for the view, hotel, and beginners. Schuss was nice but the lines were busy and it appeared to me that it was because of poorly organized lines and not because it was a holiday. Dinner at Lakeview Restaurant, which is billed as their upscale, flagship restaurant, on New Year's Eve was a disaster to say the least. We had a reservation at 9pm and arrived promptly, only to be ignored by the host for 15 minutes. The least he could have done was acknowledge our presence and explain what was going on. Apparently they were not prepared for the rush of NYE, even though numerous employees told us that it was this busy every year. If you know it is going to be busy, then be prepared!! Don't use it as an excuse. We were finally seated all the way at the edge of the restaurant by the hallway, despite numerous empty tables in the middle by the windows overlooking Lake Bellaire. The entire dinner, there were kids running around screaming and parents running around screaming at their screaming kids. This was supposed to be a romantic dinner, and claiming this restaurant as upscale was deceptive. The dinner service was awful. The first thing the waitress said to us was, "I hope you're not in a hurry, because we are so busy because of New Year's Eve. It is like this every year". Again, be prepared for the rush. Even though we didn't mind the extra time it was taking, the kids screaming didn't help, nor did the 15 minutes it took to bring a simply glass of wine. Since she warned us that it was so busy, apparently the waitress decided she didn't need to check up on us, or even ask how the food was (it was not good). The only thing that she did right was finally ask us, at the end of the meal, how things were, so we complained and she took the dinners off the bill. What an absolute disappointment after looking forward to a nice meal on NYE. We were so peeved that we skipped the party at Ivan's and went back to the room where we knew nothing else could be screwed up. We checked out the next day and during checkout, not once did the person ask how my stay was or anything to that effect. They hold the resort out as an nice place. I expect better customer service. Especially considering I spent at least $1,000 in 2 days between lodging, food and skiing. At these rates, in Michigan, I expect more. I will not be returning and I will not recommend this resort to anyone.