by: Rocklinbill - 30th November 2009

Inexpensive and Convenient
Short Runs and Few of Them

I spent quite a bit of time at Boreal last year and choose them for their inexpensive season pass and the convenience of getting there. I am not sure that I made the right choice, but overall I think I got what I paid for. The staff is friendly, and I had some fun there. My only complaint is that they don't prepare many of their downhill runs for skiing or riding and many of them are often in poor shape, with dry creek beds running through the middle of them and such. As a result, these runs are seldom used by anyone. Their best run is blocked off for racing most weekends and they do little to prepare alternatives for downhill, although I think they could and it would make the mountain much more enjoyable. Boreal makes its niche in the market with terrain features that appeal to the boarder and freestyle skier crowd. Perhaps they put everything they have into that, and ignore the downhill. You can't blame Boreal for the size of the mountain, but they can be faulted for not preparing what they have for use by their customers. In hindsight, Donner Ski Ranch may have been a better choice for what I wanted, but I enjoyed going to Boreal. It just would have been nice to have been able to use more of the mountain.