Ski Santa Fe Review

by: Dan Gibson - Mar 30, 2007

Date Visited: Mar 30, 2007

After a dismal month from Feb. 23 or so to March 23, northern New Mexico went into a premature spring, but winter is baaaaack. Taos, Angel Fire and Santa Fe both received good snow a week ago, as did Wolf Creek and Durango and Silverton, and it’s snowing lightly again right now in Santa Fe and has been in the Sangre de Cristos for a day.

I had a primo day at Ski Santa Fe last Saturday, March 24, on 14 inches over two days. I skied Cornice a record six times, rarely crossing a track. It wasn’t face-light but popped up to my waist on huge GS turns through the small and large trees, glens, alleys and hollows. I’ve come to know lots of one-turn wide paths cut purposefully through the lower woods here and there, but not trail marked. It was a sweet day—never saw the sun—so the pow stayed fresh.

Skied for the first time in the glades off the new Millennium Chair, and had another stellar moment by traversing hard skiers right off the 12,075 summit of the Deception Peak chair, and then dropping straight down the fall line in the old growth Doug fir forest back to Sunset.

And did I say there was almost no one there? Those that did show had problems with fog freezing on one’s goggles—a first for me. Visibility was impaired at times but I’ll take it over sitting in Totemoff’s watching the fire.

Now, it’s really coming down. I know where I’ll be manana en la manana. High desert blizzard!