Brian Head is unique

by: Go4it - May 30, 2009

Pros: Lots of sunshine, incredible views, nice cruiser runs

Cons: The Navajo mountain is almost flat but good for beginners

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2009

I think it is too bad that this resort did not get to name itself the Canyons before the Canyons misused such a name. Brian Head is really in a canyon region in terrain rather than alpine steeps one would expect to associate with the south Wasatch range or the Rocky Mountains. From the floor of the desert valley below at 6,000 feet the road to Brian Head winds it way up through ridges and walls that if sun exposed can barely hold onto their snow. Some are a wonderful mustard color and some are deep clay red. The 11,000' plus ridge that is Brian Head is like the top of a staircase which makes it one of the most accessible 11,000 peaks anywhere in the world. If there was a proper road to the windy top it would be a fairly easy drive up as the back side is more plateau and prime snowmobile and x country terrain. So skiing and winter is sort of inflicted on this very unique landscape. The runs on Giant Steps are a blast for both boarders and skiers just wanting to carve some decent turns on beautifully groomed snow. What I loved about this place was I felt like I had this place to myself. My youngest did private lessons 2 days while I skied run after run after run in brilliant sunshine. I was impressed how they had picnic tables at the top with trash cans and the place was free of any garbage. It seemed to be at a slower pace than destination resorts sort of as if to say: we are different hope you like it! So what Brian Head lacks, nightlife, hi-speed quads, big vertical runs, it easily makes up for with wide undulating terrain that gives you runs that are of surprisingly reasonable length simply because they are stretched out longer over its 1320' of vertical drop. It amazed me how the temperature could be 45f on a sunny day and the snow stayed dry as if it was 20f. 2009 might not have been considered a banner snow year for this resort area so I would like to see what a good year is because the coverage seemed very good by any standard at 260" for the year. This is not cliff hanger Chamonix. This is Brian Head and it is every bit as fun and beautiful a place as any I have ever skied.