by: Jon Slone - 26th March 2009

ultra steep terrain, cool town, alpine setting, remote
mgmt seems confused about priorities, mediocre intermediate terrain

I've been skiing CB for 15 years, and love it! It's 100 miles from my home and no reason for me to venture closer to the front range to endure the crowds and lack of steep terrain there. CB rocks literally: The upper mountain is steep and rocky and adventurous. The lower mountain is mediocre in terms of layout and diversity of terrain. I think most vacationers who do not endulge in extreme terrrain love CB because the town is such a laid back, well kept, and scenic place. CBMR stays colder than most Colorado areas so snow stays in better condition during warm cycles. Great terrain in-bounds, but out -of -bounds opportunities are lacking. One minor annoyance every time I load the Silver Queen chairlift is that their ticket scanner is slower than the old fashioned ticket punch. Sorry, but I take issue with the mgmt of this fine ski resort for endeavoring to add new lifts and lodges while employees tell me the mountain cannot afford to supply its day skiers basic ammenities like convenient parking, ski check and lockers. Also, Montrose is the largest town within 100 miles (driving) and CBMR is not even found in our yellow pages. I can't even find their ski report without going to their website. Even front-range resorts advertise their contact info in our phone books. Nevertheless, regional passes are reasonable and available. The town shuttle almost makes up for lack of parking, increases safety, and adds personality to the whole package. Few ski areas anywhere can provide more fun for skiers like me than can be had at Crested Butte on a good day!!!