Great mountain to ski

by: txskier - Mar 4, 2009

Pros: Short lift lines, plenty of runs

Cons: Expensive

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2009

I have never skied in such warm weather! Our week was very good - new snow (9 inch total) the 2nd and 3rd day and about 60 inches all week. Temps as high as mid-40s at the bottom. Not much melt or mashed potatoes, so our skiing was not adversely affected. In 6 days, on mostly quad lifts, we had to 'share' a lift two times. Once had a full minute lift line, mostly skied to the lift and took off again.
Telluride is NOT hard to get to. Denver to Montrose, hour 20 minutes on a bus. Long warmup runs, interesting medium runs. There are a lot of advanced runs, and I mostly stayed away. Never went to the bowls, but I understand that they are quite spectacular.
Somehow, we were there for the 9th annual gay ski week. I understand that after about 9pm, interesting sights, sounds and events were taking place, but we were back in the condo by then. The 'drag race' on the Nastar course was ... a sight to behold!
Lunch was expensive. We could not get away with less than $24 for two, and that was drinking water from the wall fountain. Plenty of restaurants, and they are not cheap either. Ordered a pizza delivery (at 5:30) and it was delivered at just after 7.
I gave the Terrain Park and night life 3 stars - not to downgrade them, but there is no 'N/A' option available. We did not partake, so have no opinion.
Lift tickets are "WOW". $92! But I got a good deal on Expedia for a 5 out of 7 day ticket. Look there before you go.