Quite unimpressed with this mountain

by: sguar1 - Mar 3, 2009

Pros: trails, good intermidiate terrain, terrain parks

Cons: poor actual expert terrain, boring trail design, too much uphill,

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

I went to Okemo because it was on the season pass along with Stratton and Sunapee, I had heard good things about the mountain and figured to give it a shot. I was vastly unimpressed with the mountain. It is too commercialized to start, run like a retail store rather than a ski mountain. They advertised 7 inches of snow the night before and there was maybe a half inch, 118 trails is a gaudy claim since there is probably 40 trails that go no more than a 200 yards. Just a super commercialized feel to the hole result, it just doesn't have that laid back, chiller, feel I expect in a ski resort, and you see in places like Jay peak and Stowe. Also their expert terrain was almost a joke, black diamond trails were on moderate slopes and mostly without turns and steep drops. Nearly every trail of every difficulty is the same, about 150 meters wide with uniform ups and downs. The "black hole" double black glade of Jackson Gore is comparable with blue glades on Smuggs and Stratton. Overall very disappointed with expert terrain and glades. Maybe 5 real expert trails that I could fine. I left with the feeling that I had only been down 3 or 4 trails, however i realized after looking at the trail map I had covered nearly the entire mountain. Terrain Parks looked nice, although not my thing, and I dont know much about the family friendliness or the nightlife.