I miss this mountain

by: GregMorell - Feb 28, 2009

Pros: My fondest ski memories

Cons: Far from my house

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2008

A superb mountain rising majestically from the St. Lawrence River affording spectacular views whether looking up at the peak from the bottom or gazing upon the grand river vistas that open up on the way down.

The trails favor the intermediate and advanced skier.

The thoughtfully designed tele-cabine (gondola) escapes from a large airy base enclosure that protects you from the wind and the cold while standing in line waiting to ascend.

Two of the chair lifts are outfitted with thick plexi-glass wind screens that make the ride up much more comfortable on blustery days. A feature surprisingly absent from most resorts in the East.

The social ambiance is fabulous with many fine eateries, bistros, and a robust night life, yet it is a friendly place for families and kids.

The hotel at the base of the mountain is a cross between of a fine hotel and a comfy lodge, literally steps away from the gondola. The dining at the hotel is a gourmet delight from start to finish. Distinctive Quebec dishes are all elegantly prepared, but my personal favorite was the chocolate ice cream log that comes with a little green saw to help you share with friends. When the mountain is lit up in the evening for night skiing it becomes a true winter wonderland seen right from your warm seat at the dining table.

The mountain is a 20 to 30 minute drive from downtown Quebec City where the nightlife is unique, freewheeling, romantic and fun.

It's a long drive from my home, but well worth the travel as it has provided some of my fondest ski vacations.

P.S. It was on this mountain a few years ago that my son tried to teach me how to snowboard. After a few short minutes on the bunny hill we went to the top--conditions were a bit icy and the only way down was on the trail called Picard (named after Captain Jean Luc Picard?) Picard has a very steep elbow midway down. I went down the entire mountain backwards on my toe edge--not one of my fondest memories. I quickly learned that a man over forty should never take snowboard lessons from a teenager.