Northstar-at-Tahoe Review

by: SeaPA - Jan 10, 2007

Date Visited: Jan 10, 2007

Spent a few days at Northstar right around New Years - arrived 12/31/06, skied on January 1, 2, 3. Had a large group - wife, 3 yo boy, me, and a number of my siblings & their families. Wide mix of skiing levels, from expert to novice. We rented a large house in Northstar, near the golf course clubhouse.

Had a great time, although the snow coverage was not great. Most of the main mountain was open, although on some trails (primarily the black runs) there were some exposed obstacles. Most trails were marked as such & they did a good job of putting up signage by things that got exposed during the day (it was in the high 40s on the 2nd, so snow was melting some). Most of the backside was closed. The skiing was still enjoyable. Good mix of runs, although I can see where a hard-core, intense skier would find the mountain lacking. I've slowed down as I've aged, so I now mostly ski blues & moderate blacks & the mountain had plenty of that.

There is still a lot of constructin ongoing at the village. Very limited dining options right now - one nice restaruant (didn't eat there as it was pretty much booked up over the holiday time we were there), a burrito/wrap place (had dinner here once & it was quite good), and a deli/store that has some prepped foods to go (lasagna, meat loaf, sandwiches, etc - didn't eat here). Another wing of the village is apparently opening soon & will include another nice restaurant, a pizza place, and I think one other dining place. They do have a free shuttle that runs to Truckee, where there are a lot more places to eat. Had lunch on the mountain every day; food was good but expensive. Best deal I found was a bbq rib deal on the top of the mountain, cost was comparable to what you'd pay at a bbq place that was not on a ski slope (around $14 for a rack of ribs, beans, & slaw).

We put the 3 y/o in the ski school 2 days, in the day care 1 day. He enjoyed both, and the ski school seemed to be well-run & organized.

The ice-skating rink area is very nice. A number of firepits set up around it for apres ski activity. There are 2 bars (one on each side) but other than New Years Eve only 1 of them was open right after the lifts closed - I found that odd as there were plenty of people around & long lines at that bar; it most surely would have been worth it to them to have both running.

All in all we enjoyed it. I think it will be a very nice destination next season & in the future, when the village construction is completed & they have more complete dining/apres ski options.