breck rocks at christmas

by: jcastelli - Feb 3, 2009

Pros: good snow and grooming, great terrain variety

Cons: pretty windy, some liftlines at the bottom, pricey food

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2008

Had a really great trip here - the second for our family of four (me, wife, 2 daughters 10 and 7). Arrived December 27th and left January 3rd. The snow this year has been great and the majority of the mountain was open and well covered. My kids had an excellent ski school experience once again. I finally got up the courage to ski the Imperial Bowl and it was definitely worth it. My 15 year old nephew and I lapped that thing probably 5-6 times (different line every time), and then the 6 chair below it 3 times all in one afternoon. The view up there was outstanding, and up to this point the most incredible I have seen in my brief skiing experience. The sky was sooo blue, and the bottom of the mountain looked almost flat. Incredible fun.

Lines at the Falcon were always short, but i found those slopes to be pretty icy both afternoons that we skied there, especially Crystal and Centennial. Though the snow prior to our arrival had been plentiful, we received no fresh snow during the trip. Cimarron was in better condition, and a fun groomed advanced run. Also, Grits was a fun, short mogul run off of Crystal that made the ice worth it.

So lines at the top weren't bad, but the very bottom was pretty long. We waited close to 45 minutes at the Independence superchair once, and an hour at Quicksilver super6 another time. Beaver Run Superchair also had an occasionally long wait, but rarely more than 15 or 20 minutes I would guess. This was no surprise, given the time of year. My advice is to stay high on the mountain if you can ski that stuff and you won't have bad lines even at christmas time. Expect to spend around to $15 for a bowl of chili, a water, and a fountain drink.

By the way, beautiful torch parade down peak 9 and fireworks later on new years eve. All this visible from our room at the Beaver Run Resort, which was a really super place to stay.