by: Justin - 18th January 2009

Expert terrain, No lines anywhere, Great food, Great atmosphere
None

The terrain offered at Crested Butte is hard to beat, especially for experts. Most resorts require a lot more hiking to get to their best expert areas, Crested Butte's lift system quickly moves skiers and riders up the mountain. Lift lines are non-existant here, as soon as you get to the bottom you are headed back to the top almost immediately. The surrounding area and views are unmatched. This was my second trip to Crested Butte. I stayed at the West Wall lodge for this trip and was extremely pleased with the price for such high-end accomodations. The ski-in, ski-out accomodations throughout the mountain base area have had a face-lift in the past few years under new mountain ownership and as a visitor you immediately notice the difference. The town of Crested Butte has some of the best restaurants anyone could ask for, and the town offers unique apres-ski oppurtunities. The food I found in town was unbeatable. If you are looking for a dance club, this may not be your type of town, but if you are looking for a real ski town with great restaurants, bars and shops, this is your destination. The last time I made the trip from the NYC area to Crested Butte I flew to Dallas, then connected directly into Gunnison/Crested Butte. Since that time I have moved to Philadelphia and this time flew into Denver and took the connection from there. In general I would recommend the Denver approach because the second flight into Gunnison was all of 30 minutes and it made the trip feel shorter. In some respects taking the second flight is actually faster and more convenient than landing in Denver and driving to some of the closer ski resorts. I would recommend Crested Butte to anyone and everyone, I hope to go back soon.