by: ccampbell - 5th January 2009

Proximity to Harrisburg area, friendly staff, great kids programs, blow lots of snow
Ice and teens at night, but what can you do?

To qualify the 4 star rating - for a PA resort, there is a lot of good here. Snow making capabilities are better than most other PA slopes. On a dry cold night they can cover the place with 4-8 inches. On weekends, from 8AM-noon the lift lines are very short. I waited to review Roundtop (my local hill) until visiting two other, bigger, PA slopes. Elk is good enough to justify a 2.5 hour drive to get to, Camelback is not. Last year we put our then 5 year old daughter in their kids program - what a fantastic, well run program. The place runs pretty smooth overall. One time like a fool, I lost my keys on the slope. I only wiped out one time, told someone in customer service where that was, they then told the ski patrol - I had my keys in 5 minutes. They said they were buried a couple inches. That's service. I ski mainly in the AM and the grooming makes it enjoyable enough despite the lack of any really interesting slopes. When the sun goes down - watch out. The ICE comes out to play as do all the kids from ski clubs and dudes in jeans who should know better than to leave the beginners area. Another nice thing that often goes overlooked is the website. Roundtop offers accurate, current conditions and nearly live pics from multiple web cams. They let you know when they are/will be making snow and you can guage the conditions and crowd size by the web cam pics. If you are local (within an hour) it's hard to argue with what they offer.